Fajitas are that fun entree to order out at your favorite Mexican restaurant. The drama of the sizzling pan coming to your table. The smell of the onions & peppers wafting your way. We all know that feeling of building your own fajitas.
While we’re stuck at home, why not try your hand at creating your own fajitas legend? Fajitas are simple to make, and easy to create your own version. Our recipe uses the smoky flavor of the Serious Foodie Kentucky Bourbon Spice Rub, which goes so well on any grilled meat or fish. We also offer a few tips that will help bring this healthy-ish dish up a notch!
Tip 1: Spice up your sour cream!
To add some serious flavor to one of the important fajitas condiments, whisk together sour cream, 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice, and about 2 tbsp. of the Kentucky Bourbon Spice Rub. This makes sure that the bourbon flavor is on the top when you first bite into the fajita.
Tip 2: Pre-marinate your protein
Sprinkle a generous amount of Kentucky Bourbon Spice Rub onto each side of the chicken, meat, or fish. Wrap the meat or fish in plastic wrap for at least an hour before cooking to marinate the spices into the meat. This will make your fajita meat or fish tender, moist and flavorful every single time!
Tip 3: Don’t Ignore the Tortillas!
If you are ambitious, make your own – they’re not that hard, and there are plenty of YouTube how-to videos. Or just buy some good quality tortillas, and toast your tortillas right on the stove! If you have gas burners, simply turn on the gas and place the tortilla right on the flame until browned and toasted. If you have an electric stove, use a shallow pan. We prefer corn tortillas because of the fresh, hearty flavor, but you can use whatever you prefer. If you have a local Mexican market, that’s the best way to go.
Kentucky Bourbon Chicken Fajitas
- 2 medium chicken breasts
- 4 tbsp. vegetable oil (canola or safflower)
- 2 large bell peppers, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 4-6 corn or flour tortillas
- 4-5 tbsp. Serious Foodie Kentucky Bourbon Spice Rub
- Sprinkle a generous amount of the Kentucky Bourbon Spice Rub onto each side of the chicken breasts. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and let marinate in the fridge for an hour or more.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream and about 2 tbsp. of the Kentucky Bourbon Spice Rub until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, add 2 tbsp. oil and bring to medium-high heat. Saute the sliced peppers, mushrooms and onions until tender. Set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp. oil to the pan and saute the marinated chicken breasts in the skillet on medium-high heat. Slice and serve with the sauteed veggies.
- Serve with the toasted tortillas, veggies, spiced sour cream and any other toppings you prefer.