You don’t need a pantry-full of stuff to make this packed-full-of-flavor, healthy vegetarian dish. Try making up a lot of extra Swiss chard, using it for morning omelettes the next day. Eliminate the crema and cheese, or use a vegan version, to make this dish vegan. Use a pure corn tortilla to make it a gluten-free dish.
Swiss Chard Enchiladas
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes SERVES: 4
- Serious Foodie Hatch Chile Sauce (Click HERE to order)
- 2-3 medium cloves garlic – minced
- ¾ cups crema or sour cream
- 6-8 cups Swiss chard (2 bunches), ribs removed and leaves roughly chopped
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1½ cups Oaxacan or Monterey Jack cheese, coarsely grated
- ⅓ cup queso fresco, crumbled
- Lime wedges, for serving
1. Make filling: Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add garlic to pan, then sauté until aromatic and lightly golden, about 1 minute. Add chard and salt and pepper to taste, then sauté until leaves wilt but retain their bite, about 2 minutes. Turn off heat, stir in Oaxaca cheese, 1 cup of the Serious Foodie Hatch Chile Sauce, and season to taste.
2. Fill a small pot with remaining oil and set over medium heat. Once small bubbles form, reduce heat to low. Use tongs to dip tortillas, one at a time, into oil until fully submerged. Once puffed but not at all browned, about 15 seconds per tortilla, set aside on a plate. Add oil as needed.
3. Divide warm tortillas among 4 plates and top with filling. Roll tortillas around filling to make cylinders and arrange seam-side down. Spoon remaining Hatch Chile sauce over rolled tortillas. Garnish with remaining crema, queso fresco and cilantro leaves. Serve warm with lime wedges.