This recipe is so simple, it’s almost embarrassing – but the flavor is an embarrassment of riches.
If you want a flavorful sauce to serve along side the chicken, just take 1/4 cup of olive oil, and whisk in 1 tablespoon North African Spice Rub.
Harissa Chicken – Fast, Delicious, Healthy
Serves: Serve 4-6
Harissa is a very common spice blend found in Northern Africa. You can use this same recipe with any number of spice blends. For extra flavor, make pockets under the skin, and pour some spice blend into the area between the skin and meat.
- – One free-range chicken, 3 to 6 pounds
- – 2 tablespoons butter
- – Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- – 3-4 tablespoons Serious Foodie North African Rub
- Rinse the chicken and then dry it well with paper towels. Rub the chicken with the butter and then liberally sprinkle with the Serious Foodie North African Rub (click HERE to order on-line); sprinkle rub inside the cavity. Let sit in refrigerator for up to 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Salt and pepper the chicken, inside and out according to taste. Truss the chicken by using kitchen twine to pull the end of the drumsticks up together to cover the top of the breast which keeps it from drying out. Also, tuck the back of the wings underneath the chicken.
- Place chicken on roasting pan and place in oven. Cook for 50-60 minutes, until the meatiest part reads 165 deg F.