August and September seem to be zucchini month. The farmer’s markets, local stores, and our own gardens have a ton of this wonderful vegetable – and there is nothing like local zucchini, fresh & sweet & fun. With all this veggie goodness, we certainly need as many easy and tasty zucchini recipes as possible.
We recently worked up a new recipe with infuses additional complimentary flavors to the fresh zucchini, using an easy to make marinade from one of the Serious Foodie sauces (click HERE to find Serious Foodie sauces). This is an elegant party dish – and works well for tailgate events, too!
- 3 medium to large zucchini
- 1/2 cup Orange & Calimyrna Fig sauce from the Serious Foodie
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (or other white mild vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (fresh mozzarella is best)
- Remove the top and bottom of the zucchini. Slice the zucchini lengthwise into 1/4 inch strips (a sharp mandolin slicer is a very valuable tool for uniform slicing). – See picture at the top of this recipe.
- Lightly salt the zucchini on both sides, and leave at room temperature for 1/2 hour. Remove all the moisture.
- Prepare the marinade: Whisk together the Orange & Calimyrna Fig sauce, vinegar, light brown sugar (optional), and salt (optional). While whisking, slowly add the olive oil.
- Place the the zucchini in a plastic bag with the marinade, then refrigerate for 1 to 3 hours.
- Remove the zucchini from the bag, then place on a pre-heated grill (medium heat). Do not over cook – grill until slightly soft, generating some grill marks. When one side of each slice is done, flip the zucchini and sprinkle on some of the shredded mozzarella.
- You can serve the zucchini immediately. You can also cut each slice in half, and roll up the sliced zucchini to serve as a very elegant appetizer.